The Vikram University was established on 1st March 1957. The organizational framework Of the Vikram University Library was also started same day in Kamal Villa. But the library was Shifted in its new building(existing MJR Library building) in july 1966. The construction cost of this huge and sprawling building was only Rs. 8,41,488.00. The library having a Carpet area and Build up area of 3628.86Sq M. and 4193.04Sq. M respectively. The university library was called Central Library. The credit for the establishment of MJR Library goes to the University Grant commission and Maharaja Jiwaji Rao Scindhia. So the name of the library was renamed as “Maharaja Jiwaji Rao Library(MJR Library)”. It was founded by the first Prime Minister of India Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru on 11th November 1959. Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, Dr. Paranjape and Shri Amarnath Jha were the then member of the coordinating committee of MJR Library. The childhood of the library was nurtured under the guidance of Late Professor S. Das Gupta and Late Dr. S.R.Rangnathan the doyen of Library Science in India.